Saturday, July 28, 2007

Windows 2003 Server as Workstation

I do a lot of experiments whenever I get time. Sometimes I skip important jobs just to satisfy my mind with my experiments. Well, that can't be good but at least I learn some new things and can sleep at night (actually morning).

This might seem totally offtopic, well it is. But it is related to device drivers and Operating System so interested people, go on.

On last weekend, I took a project of using Windows 2003 Sever as workstation. Windows 2003 is not made for workstations, so it seemed an interested topic for me.

There are several reasons I was interested to use win 2003 on my PC, because
  1. The kernel is new, SP1 kernel was of 2005 and SP2's kernel was of November 2006, comparing to XP, this is supposed be a huge difference.
  2. More stable than XP or any other windows (except vista) as Microsoft says. (Google can't trace this blog, yay!)
  3. Simpler than every way of XP!
  4. I was bored with XP, I am using this since 2002.
  5. I liked the boot screen of 2003 server :D

I have downloaded CD version of Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2 (legit 60 day evaluation copy) from microsoft's web. Google it, its available. Then Downloaded SP2 from same site.

Installation was exactly like XP. After installation, I had to do some tweaking, there are few tutorials to do the tweaks, but my target of this self project was to tweak it by myself. Which turned out to be the same as the online tutorials. In the end, my 2003 server became a totally usable as workstation. Which supports all multimedia extensions with DirectX 9.0c.

All the drivers worked nicely. Even though they warned me there are issues.

Windows Vista (RTM 6.0.6000) does not support my
USB Bluetooth device
Avermedia GO 007 FM (TV tuner)

Windows 2003 Server supports all the devices I have. Without Any issue.
And supports all the softwares and almost all games that runs on XP as well (I don't even care for giving a list).

On this weekend, my OS totally got ruined, as I forgot to install any antivirus, so I had to install other OS over this nice installation of win 2003. :(

THE END

2 comments:

Zico said...

*excited* starting... *damn* ending....

*damn* ending for what?? Just for an antivirus. Windows is so damn that, it cannot handle itself only for 1/2 days....

Zico

gizmo said...

I don't blame microsoft, blame it's popularity. If people were using other OS's like this that OS was supposed to be infected like no matter whether it was Linux, BeOS or MacOS.

Check out Windows Vista, Microsoft tried their best to prevent viruses, spywares and phising. The are working on and released Microsoft One Care - Free for legit windows users. Well, these can't hold virus programmers for a long though.

By the way, all Linux has anti-viruses on their repository, why?